30/08/2010

Basic menu and improvements to the battle engine.

This past week, after wasting my time playing videogames because I'm lazy and procrastinating, I actually kept working on Harmonia Warders.. I have some updates to post and a few screenshots (nothing spectacular) with what I've done so far.

I was able to add the HUD menu in game, it is the basic and normal menu that every jRPG has with status, items, equips etc etc. So far it doesn't look good because I will actually have to put real graphics and not placehorders, however it is functional and very versatile...


As you can see from these screenshots, these are the actual main characters of the game but I won't say more because I don't want to spoil it yet.. Due to a particular story gimmick in the game, you can't have more than 3 characters at the same time in battle and you can switch them with each other only in particular pairs. For example, Michael can be exchanged with Viviane only, Mint with Katie and Jack with Oberon. I know it sounds stupid but, in my opinion, it actually works best this way and the combat will be even more dynamic. Alas, I won't say more anyhow.

Another nice fix I put in the game is the battle system, even though it still lacks monster AI, I was able to put more than one character in battle, switching their order in the menu and make them fight against the monsters.

Now I'm either going to work on the full menu (all the options and entries) or perfect and finish the battle engine (with monster exp, full skill choice and monster AI). Either way, the game is really going well and I'm satisfied with what I've done so far, I hope to be able to keep the ball rolling...

Anyways, off onto the next update, stay tuned.

Cheers!

1 comment:

  1. Looking great! How's your battle system coming along? I haven't gotten to mine yet because I'm still mired in the nightmare of the menu system.

    Can't wait for the next update ^_^

    ReplyDelete